Image Map

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Au Pair in Italy

Yet again, I've embarked on a new adventure. As though living in Spain and traveling Europe for four months wasn't enough, I obviously decided I had to move to Italy, because pizza, right?... So here I am. Currently living in Milano Marittima, a small beach town on the Adriatic Coast. And working as an au pair to a wonderful family and their precious two year-old girl, Giulia for the last month. So far, it has been amazing and challenging all at once. At first it was a bit of an adjustment, for all of us involved. But now that Giulia and I have our little routine*, it's been a blast. I've met some amazing people, I've traveled through Italy (well... Florence, Venice, and Rome that is). I eat amazing food all of the time. I also might add that the world's greatest gelato is down the street from me (they put fudge in the bottom of the cone...), which I'm still not sure is a good or bad thing. Either way, I bike practically everywhere, so it's okay... Oh, and I'm finally starting to grasp Italian! Alé!

This is Giulia.

 Bubbles are kind of our thing...

La spiagga.

 A typical Italian breakfast is not complete without pastries and cappuccinos.

Downtown Milano Marittima.

 Piadina stands on every corner.

Cappuccinos with Nonna.


*And in case you were curious, this is what I get paid to do everyday - minus weekends:

8:30-9:30 - wake up, watch "Peppa Pig" with Giulia while she eats breakfast, change and dress her for the day, play some more.

9:30-11:30 - walk 50 meters to the beach, play with Giulia at the beach (either make sand castles, play on the playground, or jump on the saltarello (trampoline).

11:30-12:00 - walk to the family's hotel to visit the Mama and the Nonna, drink a cappuccino with them, and then walk to the Nonna's house to mangia la papa (eat lunch).

12:00-12:30 -   mangia la papa with Giulia and Ruby, the maid.

12:30-16:30 - walk the dogs (Rocco & Nina), and then free time. During my free time I either nap at the beach, go for a run, or hangout in the center with my friends, Esther and Sorsha.

16:30-18:30 - usually meet Giulia and the Mama at the beach, play with Giulia some more.

18:30-20:00 - walk the dogs again, and eat dinner at the Nonna's house.

20:30-00:00 - free time, usually meet with Esther and Sorsha in the center, eat gelato and browse the flea markets.


Although it may seem like an easy job, at times it can be very hard. Dealing with a toddler is difficult on its own... Add a language barrier, now you've got yourself a real challenge. But being able to be a part of and see her growth is so rewarding, and totally worth it. Not to mention I'm learning just as much, or even more, from Giulia. I've learned to be more patient, attentive, responsible and independent. I guess you could say my motherly instincts are coming through... Don't worry, even though I sometimes do get excited for the day a mini-me is walking around, it definitely won't be happening for a very long time... that's another thing I've learned.


Arrivederci!
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment