Image Map

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Martha's Veggies

This time every year there is always that excitement (or dread) of seeing the early snow, constantly smelling hints of pine-cinnamon-apple pie, hearing Christmas music way too early, and practically every outfit consists of scarves and boots.  It might just be me, but I live for this time of year. November.

I think the driving force of my holiday cheer is my annual Christmas Party.  In high school, my group of friends decided to throw a little white elephant party just for fun, nothing super fancy. We had a little dinner at my house and a slumber party afterwards.  Super girly... I know...  But hey, that's the whole point of being girls, right?

Anyways, this whole thing has been going on for three years and it is the highlight of my year.  So yes, excuse me while I sing-a-long to "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" for the third time this week.

In my excitement to plan this party, I always do my best to find new dishes to make.  And what a better place to find a nice holiday side dish than Martha herself, the Queen of the Christmas Parties.
Even though it is still 4 weeks to the party, I wanted to try this delicious looking dish just for fun. (And also to see how long it would actually take to pull it off).  So here it is...

Martha Stewart's Roasted Winter Vegetables



You need:
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for sheets
  • 1 medium acorn squash, cut into 1-inch wedges
  • 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 pound parsnips, peeled and halved lengthwise (quartered if large)
  • 1/2 pound shallots, halved
  • 1 head garlic, cloves broken apart and left unpeeled
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 8 sprigs thyme
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Brush two large rimmed baking sheets with oil. 
  3. In a large bowl, toss all vegetables with oil and season with salt and pepper. 
  4. Divide vegetables between baking sheets.
  5. Top with thyme and roast until golden and tender, 35 to 45 minutes, rotating sheets and tossing vegetables halfway through.
This is such an easy and super healthy dish to make and it leaves your kitchen smelling absolutely wonderful.  When I made this dish I was worried that I added too much seasoning, when really I ended up needing more salt/pepper!  So don't be shy on the seasoning.  All the yummy juices soak it right up.  Also, Martha suggested 30-35 minutes of cook time, but I had mine in the oven for about 45 or 50 minutes until it was the perfect golden tenderness.  Just keep a good eye on it and it will be the perfect side dish to any holiday meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment